Akwaaba!! Megan and I arrived safe and sound in Ghana 2 days ago and we are soo happy and excited to be here!! Everything has gone very smoothly and we are learning so much already!! Our luggage made it which was a huge blessing and our plane was about an hour late and so when we got off the plane Augustine and Oppiah (from GCS were there to greet us! They had been waiting a while but they didn't mind! The Ghanians are very laid back and chill people so we get along just great! :) After we were picked up from the airport we were taken to the tro-tro (bus) station and we took the tro tro from Accra (the capital) to Ho. It was about a 5 hour bus ride and the bus is PACKED with as many people can fit so it was pretty incomfortable and piled with people! I drank and huge thing of water right before we left and so about an hour into the trip i had to pee sooo bad! I told Oppiah that I had to go and for the bus to pull over and he said that it was too risky!! haha about 20 minutes later i was literally dying and told him I HAD to go soo bad and couldn't hold it any longer! So he told the driver and the driver pulled over right on the side of the road and about 4 men and I got out and all went pee! :) i tried to hide behind a tree.. but i guess its pretty common for people to to pee anywhere and whenever (men and women) so even thought it was a big deal to pee infront of them, they were used to it!
We arrive in Ho pretty late and we stayed in a hotel that night. The next morning we were able to shower and then we started our orientation! It took the whole day and we learned everything there was to know about the orphanage, the people, the program, language, culture and customs! The director (Nana) is super nice and very organized and tell us that our safety is his number one priority! We are in good hands here! They are so nice to us and took us to a restaurant today for our first Ghanian meal and it was.... interesting! It was fish, boiled eggs, plantain and some spicy sauce! All the boys had Fufu and it looked disgusting but its like there staple so we are bound to try it. FuFu is this dough that is put into soup with some kind of meat and you grab some dough with your hand, dip it, and then let it slide down your throat! I will have to tell you when I try it!
Sorry this is soo long but here is already so much to say! We go to the orphanage tomorrow and so we are super excited to be there! We will stay there at the orphanage too! Oh we also met the missionaries today!! We asked Nana if he knew of the LDS church and he had just had a volunteer that was LDS and so he knew where the church was so he took us there and then we went to the Mission home and met the missionaries, got their number, and found out where church was!
I am again so happy to be here! The culture just amazing!! People on the streets all day long, crazy crazy drivers honking all the time, its super hot (90 degrees) and everyone is just so happy even though they have nothing! They are all like one big happy family. I saw a lady on the plane help this dad who was trying to deal with his crying baby. She didn't know him but she noticed his baby was crying so she got up and went over and took the baby and rocked it to sleep! It was really neat to see! Megan and I are learning some of the language which is fun but the pronunciation is pretty hard.. we will get it though! oh and we also bought a cell phone. It was 50 Cedees (dollars) but they wanted us to have one to communicate with them so we were okay with buying one! we will probably give it away when we are done... Everything is super cheap here too which is sweeet!! water and food is cheap and using the internet here is cheap!
okay just alittle taste of what their life is like here... our friend Oppiah cant afford an apt which is only 200 cedees (dollars) for 2 YEARS!!! that equivillant to 2 I-PHONES!!! Can you believe it! So next time you use your I-PHONE think of someone who could live here for 4 years with that money!!! :)
okay love love love and miss you all!! we are having a great time and megan is such a great traveling companion! I Love her so much and am so grateful for her! We have had some good laughs together! :) haha okay bye for now!
7 years ago



8 comments:
Madzy! I'm sooo glad you made it there safely! Sorry it didn't work to meet in Frankfurt...it was utter chaos when I got there! I wish I could have seen you...anyways, everything sounds wonderful there! Good luck trying Fu Fu. I want details later lady! Looove you!
Madz, so glad you arrived safe and are already loving the area and the people. I loved your blog and will check it often. Thats neat about the missionaries and finding the church. It sounds like you are well taken care of. That is good news!! xoxoxoxo
wow, how fun!!! you are going to have so many adventures! good luck with that food though. :) can't wait to hear more from you!
DAZZLE!
First off, i am in LOVE with the African songs! They make me extremely happy, and i can only imagine what the REAL DEAL actually must be like!
Ohhh how i miss you!
I love stalking you on your blog though!
I LOVE YOU!
Madison! It's great to hear from you. I'm relieved you are safe! Fufu-well David loved it when I made a makeshift form of it for my unit so it can't be too bad ;) Take lots of pictures (J.C. Fremont second grade would love it for their Africa unit). I ran into Calli Thacker today at the Granite building (good 'ol student teaching seminars) and she asked about you and says hello! Take care!
I'm so glad ya'll are having a good time and I pray for your safety every day! Post some pics!
Oh Girls!!! I love you both so much. It was so great to get Megan's email. I'm so excited for you and miss you all so much!! Have fun
Hi Mads! Dancing in the rain..in Africa! Heaven!! I wish I was there to see little Courage and see if I could help. He is in my prayers, as are you. Blessings from Shep and I-LOVE the pics!
Post a Comment