29.5.10

i LOVE my life!

so let me just humor you for five minutes on my day yesterday at school. Fridays are half days so whatever you read/hear/think... just imagine it happening all over again in the afternoon on a regular day :) i never realized how much teachers multi-task... while going back and forth telling two kids how to spell different words, i was tying a boys shoe, telling a girl what rhymes with pink and telling one kid with ADHD to stop jumping off his chair and grabbing his feet in the air!

It sounded like this... "okay Linda "there" is spelt T-H... Amanda you spell "happy" H-A... Natasha listen... pink... sink... link... Linda E-R... Amanda P-P... Jimmy please stop jumping off the chair! I have asked you multiple times to stop! Linda E.. Amanda Y... Natasha.. rink...dink.. Jimmy! Sit down Now!"

I start the day with 25 six and seven year olds calling out "teacher, teacher" and end the day with a kid in detention twice and he still comes back and jumps off his chair and grabs his feet in the air! I also had one kid crying so loud today i swear the whole school could hear him! he was weeping and wailing because he was mad that kids wouldn't play with him at recess! two boys were chasing eachother around the room and one boy tripped and fell dropping a huge stack of papers i had asked him to give me! weeping, wailing boy is still crying, jimmy is jumping off his chair and kids are coming up to me left and right handing me their poems we just wrote! I am now kneeling on the floor helping four or five kids with rhyming, asking weeping wailing boy to "please hold it together" and agian asking jimmy to "stop jumping!"... i find one boy putting my magnets in his pocket, tell one boy that he can't rhyme "fine" with "fell" and thank two sweetheart girls for sitting quietly and just doing their work!
between rhymes i say.. "ahh i love me life" and for a split second.. the crying stops, the jumping stops and i really do realize how much i LOVE my job! I LOVE my kids and teaching! It is the greatest!

8 comments:

Collette said...

You are the best teacher ever! Seriously- wow, that made me just stressed thinking about it :) Hope you will be our future kids teacher some day.

Alex, Orchid, Layla, & Leo Christensen said...

Wait?! Are you teaching summer school???

Madison Bradshaw said...

collette i would love to teach your future children! and orchid i am teaching at a year round school so i don't finish till july!

Anonymous said...

hahahaha. i want to meet the magnet-stealing kid.

Melissa P said...

Mads you are simply amazing! I dont know how you do it! You are going to be the best mom~

Sarah said...

wow mads, you must be a really good teacher! i would lose it and be screaming at them! patience is a virtue i'm working on... i'm reading a parenting book about "spirited children" and it is really eye-opening about why some children act out the way that they do. i think you would really enjoy it, if you have any spare time!

Velma said...

I am glad you love your life! I dont know if I could do what you do and love it.......You are a fantastic teacher and I know your class is so fortunate and blessed to have you be their teacher.

chelse said...

mads I laughed so hard when I read this! I read it to my mom and Ryley! Now that I've student taught its easy to picture, but I only had to yell at high school kids so way not as bad. But loved it! They're so lucky to have you!