17.7.10

unforgettable class


I finished teaching in West Valley a few weeks ago. My last day was a bitter sweet day. I had such a great experience teaching! I loved the opportunity I had to teach these children and be a part of their lives. I will never forget my first class and these kids! They made me laugh everyday with their cute smiles, funny stories, and innocent ways! They made me cry from frustration. They made me angry when they stole my things. They made me happy when they were so eager to learn new things. They consumed my thoughts after school and well into the nights when I sat awake trying to think of new ways to teach them, how to teach respect, love and kindness better. I am so fortunate to have a job and do what I love. I had such an amazing mentor who helped me tremendously and when it was all over gave me boxes and boxes of school/teacher supplies for me to take to my next school!!

I remember the first time I taught the kids about the "golden rule"! Something had happened that made one kid start to cry, and so i stopped everything we were doing.. called everyone to the rug and had a 'class meeting'. I figured that if my kids learn anything.. it will be respect for one another! I started to talk firmly and looked each of them in the eyes and talked about respect. love. friendship. and treating others how they wanted to be treated. i told them this was called the golden rule. After that.. i heard them constantly talking about the golden rule in the hallways, at recess, in the classroom! it was the neatest thing! They loved being taught something besides academics and they really payed attention! If someone was mean, they would say, "Miss Bradshaw, I don't think Jimmy used the golden rule right" or "you're not following the golden rule!"
This kid on the far left is my ELL (English language learner) and he could only speak a few words in english. One day i gave a writing prompt for the kids to do and it read... "I Scream Whenever....." and the kids filled in the blank. this is what Jose's read... "I Scream Whenever..... I Scream is good. I like I Scream. I love I scream the berry best in a cone" Cutest thing EVER!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

that is hilarious!! i love i scream too!

Anonymous said...

Shmadsy,
This is so funny, I bet you were the best teacher ever. Miss you like crazy!

Lindsay Rosas said...

You are so fabulous!!!!

Melissa P said...

Cute kids! How do you like your new school???

chelse said...

so fun! I bet all your kids love you and have crushes on you!